Monday, May 14, 2007

KNBR, the Warriors, and Perspective

I listen to sports talk radio quite a bit and today hasn't been an exception.

One thing that's struck me about today's KNBR shows is that a lot of "Warriors fans" have been complaining and scratching their heads over what's "wrong with the Warriors." I guess ever since they lost last night to the Jazz, the Warriors suddenly have something wrong with them. Just goes to show how greedy "Warrior fans" are.

Alinna doesn't understand this about me, but I'm elated that the Warriors got this far. In fact, it's mind boggling. To me, it doesn't matter if the Warriors lose the series to the Jazz... at the beginning of the series, I was saying that it didn't matter if the Warriors got swept (though I will still root for them to win). Everything past game 6 of the first round Mavericks series is, to me, a bonus. This team has come a long long way this year. The way they finished the season, getting rid of Dunleavy and Murphy and getting something good in return, avoiding the lottery since I was a freshman in high school... the list goes on.

There's nothing wrong with the Warriors. They're an 8th seed in the 2nd round of the playoffs. They're undersized, don't rebound the basketball well, and depend on playing a style of basketball that yes, will surprise some teams but is not likely sustainable over the course of a long series of games... at least with the players they have now.

This Warriors team has done so much this season. Be happy with the ride they've given you Bay Area. Significant strides have been taken. Lest you forget, Adonal Foyle started a good number of games for the Warriors just last season.

No comments: