Tuesday, January 14, 2003

"Suido ga otoshite kudasai." (Literal translation: Please drop your water pipes.)
I'm guessing that this is "Hokkaido-ben" that is, a phrase from the Hokkaido dialect of Japanese. I don't think I've ever heard somebody from any other part of Japan say such a thing. Can anybody out there verify this?
Apparently, to "drop your water pipes" means to drain the water out of the water pipes. Why? Because if you don't, they can freeze inside the water pipes, causing a huge nuisance, and potentially lots of damage. If the weather forecaster predicts a very cold night (colder than -10 celcius) in a particular area, the news issues a warning to make sure to "drop your water pipes" before going to bed.
Do Americans have to do this? I would have no idea having lived all my life in Northern California. I mean, San Francisco with its mid 40's winters are considered cold. Lemme correct that last sentence. San Francisco with its mid 40's winters WERE considered cold. I convert mid 40's to celcius and it's like 7 degrees celcius. You don't need gloves in 7 celcius weather. You can wear a ball cap without worrying about your ears freezing off in 7 celcius weather. Scarves are more of a fashion statement than an important and useful article of clothing in 7 celcius weather.
Well, it's getting late. It's time to drop my water pipes.

No comments: