Tuesday, March 09, 2004

I got a phone call today from my mom saying, "Congratulations, you have been accepted into Fuller Theological Seminary."

Since my mind is going all over the place with preparations for the move back home, I'll take an except from my journal back in January.

Stephen's speech. In describing Moses' early activity as recorded from Acts 7:23-29, Stephen uses very active verbs. "Decided," "went," "killing," "thought." Verse 25 in particular is interesting. "Moses thought that his own people would realize that God was using him to rescue them, but they did not." Looks like he thought wrong. But beyond that, I think it interesting at the choice of words: "His own people." This probably doesn't mean that he was the leader and they were his people. I see this more like he was trying to be like his people... that he was trying to join his group, confirm his identity maybe. I guess something like trying to be a leader without taking the responsibility. "Hey, I'm one of the guys, man." Later in his life we see him pleading on "his people's" behalf. Responsibility, the responsibility of the spiritual leader is felt. Truly, the call and responsibility of a leader is great. It is true, not all of us should desire to be leaders. Only a few can carry the burden required.

No comments: