Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Name mishaps

My name has been mispronounced since the time I started going to school. It's pronounced HEE-DE-YO. Of course it looks like Hideyo. So what do I get?

Hide-yo. As in "Hide, the aliens are out to get us!"

Video. Yes, it has happened in the past. And not jokingly either. I'm not for rent at Blockbuster.

hi-DEE-yo. And so, I have two greetings in my name. Or something that sounds like the dwarves' work song. Hi, yo! Hi, yo! It's off to work we go!

But recently... err, at my last job, I got two new ones. Really interesting ones.

Fidel. Yes. As in Castro. I now resemble a cigar smoking dictator who lives forever. Cigar smoking I'd be willing to do. Dictatorship... well, I suppose it depends on the day. Live forever? Getting eternal life with my God! Woo hoo!

Cuidado. The thing that cracks me up about this one is that the guy who called me cuidado wasn't a Spanish speaker. And from the limited Spanish training I got from the West Contra Costa Unified School District, I know that it means something like "attention" or "caution." Ahh, if only he called me "Peligro," then I'd be known as "danger!" Watch out for the piso mojado folks.

To-Do Checklist:
To-dos on list: 124
Completed to-dos: 59

No comments: