Wednesday, March 14, 2007

In the Cave

Alinna and I have been really blessed to be able stay in a two-bedroom apartment in Sunnyvale for the price we're paying.

So what do two married people do with a two bedroom apartment? One's a bedroom. The other, well, the other's purpose has morphed as indicated by its various names. At first, it was dubbed "The Other Room" which then quickly changed to "The Junk Room" as we started piling boxes and other things we didn't know what to do with into the space. Going to a seminary that runs on the quarter system doesn't really help things all that much. I feel like I'm constantly buying books. And what do you do with books you've read and are done with? Throw them into the junk room of course.

Well, with sudden influx of shelving, most of the junk in the junk room started to get filed away. So now, it's starting to resemble what many call an "Office." We call it "The Cave" for reasons including that its the place where we spend alone time and that its often pretty dark because for some inexplainable reason the curtains are almost always drawn.

These last two weeks as I've been finishing off my classes this quarter (in the middle of finals right now), I've been spending a lot of time in the cave. When Alinna comes home, she'd often find me squinty and elated to see another human being.

To help keep myself sane I've put this guy up on the window sill in the cave.His head just sways from side to side as the sunlight hits his solar panel. For some strange reason, when I look at him, I can't help but smile. Mad at my inability to find original source documents about the Cluny Reform Movement? I just glance over at him, he's smiling and swaying, and soon, I find myself kind of smiling and swaying with him. Weird. I think the men of the Inquisition would have found me a witch had I had him in my possession 500 years ago.

Oops, I just zoned out because I was looking at him.

No comments: