Monday, November 04, 2002

"I see all this potential. And I see it squandered. An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables... slaves of white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy stuff we donít need. Weíre the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no great warÖ no great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. Weíve all been raised on television to believe that one day weíd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we wonít. Weíre slowing learning that fact."
I've always liked this monologue from the movie "Fight Club" a lot. I remember it striking me when I first watched the movie as being so true. Yeah, that's pretty much all I have to say about that. Oh, I just recently got it on mp3! So now it's alongside the Martin Luther King "I have a dream," JFK "Man on the moon," and Winston Churchill "Fighting on the beaches" speeches. Still waiting for that great speech to come out of W's mouth. I might have to wait a while for that.

No comments: