Wednesday, July 24, 2002

So my family came by not too long ago. It was great just to see familiar faces again. It's been nearly a year since i've seen someone familiar... and it was weird. Not in a bad way at all. It was just, well, kind of overwhelming. Being completely comfortable when being in the same room as someone else... what a concept!
So anyway, I'm finding that I want to visit home even more so than ever before. I'm not necessarily homesick... but it's more like a combination between wanting to know what's been going on in the world I used to know and wanting to do the familiar. Sure, I've been able to email and AIM some people... but there's nothing quite like meeting face to face. There's just so many more things you can see and do. And well, as for the familiarity, I haven't been able to establish familiarity yet, in my 10 months here. I mean, I was just starting to get used to my new surroundings in Kaminoyama in my 6th month there, which was when I had to leave. And I've been here in Hokkaido for only 4 months now. Just never really felt settled. Never really could call a place, home... yet. Thinking back, it took me about a semester and a half before I got used to being at school at Cal... with the dorms and the people. That's about 7-8 months. And that was with the help of having some familiar people around me.
Anyway, with all the moving, culture adjustment, and stuff I'm pretty tired. Just want to see and do the familiar again. SPEAK A FAMILIAR LANGUAGE. So, hopefully, if everything works out, I'll be back home on vacation, either early or late September. We'll see!

No comments: