Thursday, March 06, 2003

Tonight, a church member came to my apartment. That in itself isn't groundbreaking news. Calm down now. So, Mrs. Kazumata (the church member) rings the doorbell, I open the door to see what's up.

Mrs. Kazumata: Hi, would you like some scallops?
Hideyo: Huh?!
Mrs. Kazumata: Would you like some scallops? I have some and thought that you might like some.
Hideyo: Yeah sure!
Mrs. Kazumata: Do you have something to put them in?

At this point, I'm thinking... "Ok, it's not everyday you get someone asking if you want scallops... but scallops are pretty good. I guess a tupperware thing should do to hold some scallops." So I grab a tupperware bin thinking that I'm gonna get... well, you know scallops, like the ones you find in seafood platters in Chinese restaurants.

Mrs. Kazumata: That's way too small.
Hideyo: What the?! Too small? Ok.

So I grab a plastic bowl from under my stove. I go down to her car to help out with the scallop transfer. Remember, she shared her scallops with me, so, the portion I got was really something like 1/5 of the total she had. I didn't get to take a picture of her bucket of scallops... but here's what I got.
Yeah, I don't think I've seen any Chinese seafood dishes having something that looked like that. I am definitely in Hokkaido... land of fresh seafood. On a related subject, I went to the supermarket today, and I walked past the fish section... the humongous fish section, and a bunch of the fish were all flapping around on the ice. They were still alive! This was like sashimi to the extreme. Sorry, I didn't get any video footage of the things.
Anyway, so now, I gotta figure out how to make my bowl o' scallops look like the stuff in the Chinese seafood restaurants... and then figure out what to do with em. What an adventure this'll be!

No comments: