Sunday, June 29, 2003

I'm dreaming in English again!

For a span of about a month or so, my dreams were boring because nobody spoke in them. It would just be silent. Sure, it's no big deal in those "being chased" or "chasing after somebody" dreams, but well... for example, one night I dreamt that I was in a room with i think 2 other people. And we just sat there on bean bag chairs staring at each other. Nobody said a thing. Blink. Blink. Yawn (but no sound from the yawn).

I talked about this phenomenon with some Japanese people, and the best explanation I've heard so far is this: The verbal part of my brain is too tired to work in dreams because during the day I'm constantly thinking in two languages, Japanese and English. So then, the obvious next step would be to dream in Japanese... but like I said at the beginning I'm dreaming in English again. Probably because of the trip back home not too long ago.

In related news, today was a good Japanese speaking and listening day. It's strange. You'd think that language is something that you constantly get better at with time. Not so, with me... well, sort of. I am getting better at it. But I've noticed that some days, I can speak and understand Japanese pretty well, but then the following day, it's like I forgot it all. I am the Jose Cruz Jr. and Larry Hughes of the Japanese language... so streaky. When I'm on, I'm on. But when I'm off, people look at me funny and ask me if I'm mentally retarded (in a polite Japanese way).

No comments: