Wednesday, February 26, 2003

What is it about music that reaches deep down into our soul and dwells there? Specifically, in terms of the church and musical worship... what is it about worship music that just touches our inner being and creates such a sense of release? I know that especially for my generation and the younger generations, worship music is the most pronounced way that we "experience God."
Whether this is correct or not is not the direction I want to take. Instead, I want to focus on the "Why." Why do we "feel God" so incredibly when we are singing songs of worship to Him?
Sitting here, as I'm writing this blog, I'm listening to the worship song "Holiness." For those who don't know the song, the lyrics are quite simple... the first stanza goes:

Holiness, holiness is what I long for,
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, holiness is what you want from me
So, take my heart, and form it
Take my mind, and transform it
Take my will, and conform it
To yours, to yours, oh Lord.


As I look at these lyrics now, I wonder... I wonder, "If this song never existed, would I be able to say such a thing?" That is, on my own, would I be so bold as to... say those very words? Granted, the odds of me saying those exact words, in that order are astronomical. But my point is, would I dare to say something to that effect on my own? I think not. This is not to say that I don't want to say these words. This is not the reason why I wouldn't otherwise say the lyrics. It is not that I don't agree with the words. Quite the opposite. I dearly want to say these words. But something, I don't know what, perhaps it's fear... fear of letting God down, fear of letting myself down... I don't know, keeps me from proclaiming the words held in the lyrics of these worship songs.
Immediately, I think of normal love songs... songs by Boyz II Men, Babyface, you can take your pick... there's a never ending list of artists in this genre. I know for me, the songs I like the most are the ones that "connect" with me. The ones that almost perfectly describe how I feel about someone at a certain time. They put words into a feeling that was otherwise undescribable. Or they say the words that I'm otherwise too afraid to express.
The songs (both love and worship) are somewhat of a "crutch" I guess. And I believe there lies that mysterious power that worship music holds. More so than some catchy beat, rhythm, or melody... the lyrics, and how they push us to say words we want to say but are otherwise be too timid to say... that, I believe is the reason why so many of us younger Christians experience God so richly during times of singing songs of worship.
Whaddya guys think? Am I completely off?

No comments: