Tuesday, June 04, 2002

So it's official. I'm mad at the computer I'm using. So check this out, right? I'm trying to navigate through ESPN.com to update me on some non-World Cup Soccer sports news (because that's all I'm getting out here in one of the countries hosting it this year), and at the same time I'm trying to use AIM. That's it. A web browsing window and an instant messaging chat program. No biggie right? WRONG! I'm chatting with a friend when I decide to switch over to the web browser so that I can go to the ESPN baseball page. My plan's to respond to my friend, do the quick switch-a-roo, and switch back to the chat when I get that nice little AIM respond back sound that goes something like "Doo-doo-DOO!" Anyway, apparently, the switch to the browser and then the subsequent loading up of the baseball page was too much for my computer to handle, and so, when I finally do manage to switch back to the chat, the person's gone, having written "You still there?" as the last message.
Now get this, it's not the connection speed problem cuz I finally got DSL! Woo hoo! Or so I thought. I'd probably say that with the computer I'm using right now, and the webpage load-up times because of the computer's capabilities, it'd be just as fast with dial up. So then, why don't I just switch over to dial up if the service is cheaper? Because in this country, even local phone calls cost you by the minute! And I dunno about you all, but when I'm on the internet, sometimes, time just flies. And that means so does the money! It turns out that with my usage, the DSL service would still be considerably cheaper than dial up if i figure in the added phone bill costs. Ughh.
Now, this might be a little confusing... but, it's true that I'm mad at this computer, but at the same time I'm really thankful that I have it. Why? Because it's a laptop. And technically it's not mine. I got it from my uncle who heard that I needed a laptop. Why do I need a laptop? Well, if you're reading this, you very well know that today, people communicate through computers! And try to imagine shipping a desktop overseas... and the hassle that that would bring... along with possible added costs. Oy!
Kind of a mixed bag I guess. Ahhh, i think I'm turning Japanese! The only words i can think of to describe the situation would be Japanese: "Shikataganai"... which basically means, "It can't be helped." But then, how often do we Americans say something like "The situation can't be helped?" Come to Japan, and you'll hear "Shikataganai" practically everyday. The culture! THE CULTURE!

No comments: