Monday, June 17, 2002

Yesterday, Armageddon was on TV. Even though I watched it already, I was really excited, and wanted to see it. Why? Usually I don't like watching movies for the second time unless I thought it was really good. Armageddon doesn't fit in that class. So why? Because it was an American movie. It's strange. Now that I'm here, in Japan, I get all hyped up about anything that's "American." TV is the best example I can think of. For example, the entire day, I'll get all excited about a Steven Seagal movie that's showing on TV that night... and well, Steven Seagal isn't exactly my favorite actor, if you can even call him that. Just watching something on TV that's in English is an event. How sad i've become!
Well, anyway, here in this area of Hokkaido, only two stations are bilingual. And guess what. Armageddon wasn't on one of them. And of course, the one thing i like about the movie are the little one-line bits... in English. And of course, I don't laugh all that much when it's dubbed over in Japanese because either I won't understand the Japanese, or if I do, it wasn't translated accurately and I didn't get the laugh that I wanted. I was a sad boy.

No comments: