Monday, June 03, 2002

Wow oh wow. Once again, it's been a long time. The thing is that I don't know if I can use the whole "I was moving and so I couldn't take the time to write" excuse. I mean, it's almost been 3 months! How long can you officially use that excuse? When does it expire?
I'm not thinking of doing some boring overview of what's been going on cuz that can be figured out from the newsletters posted on the missions page. Woo hoo... easy out! I do have to admit though, recently, I think my newsletters have been kind of bland. They've been just reports of what's going on. "But that's what they're supposed to do," says my mind. I dunno. The reports are important, so that other people know what's going on and can pray! And the reports take up so much room cuz there's so much going on. And no way am I gonna put out something more than just one page. I mean, most newsletters I got from missionaries or friends going on summer missions were like 3 pages minimum. It's like there's some unwritten rule that says that a missionary report/newsletter has to be at least 3 pages of content. Always, first page... front side, the header with a bunch of writing and a picture. Then there's the backside completing what they wanna say. And then, technically the second page,... front side, there's the miscellaneous along with the prayer requests along with contact info. And that's the minimum. And to some extent rightfully so. There's so much you wanna say and tell about your experiences. And you want people to know about them all. So you write it out... and blam! You've got yourself a 3-5 page report/newsletter. And that's after editing out the smaller stuff like how you saw someone take some positive baby steps toward following Jesus. Only the big stuff and somehow still 3-5 pages. You try to hide it by changing the fonts. Shortening the margins. All the tricks you learn college. (Funny, I'm doing that with my own newsletters right now!)
I dunno. Am I heartless? Do I not care enough about my friends going on missions? Do I not care enough about God and the things he's doing outside my conscious world? I mean, I know for a fact that very rarely, when i do receive something like that, that I hardly ever turn a page to see page 2 and 3 and whatever more there might be. Let alone page 1 if I feel like I'm busy. Now that I think about it... I'm lucky even if anyone reads my little one page diddy. That is if everyone's as heartless as I am!
Well, either way... mad props go out to Christine who's distributing them for me so that I don't have to pay crazy money for postage! It's gotta be crazy to be working full time and send out about a couple hundred letters once a month. I'm thinking "Yuck!"

No comments: