Friday, June 28, 2002

Thanks Kyle for the cereal comment. Glad to see that someone's interested, reading, and contributing. So yeah, cereal is a very good way to go. I mean, it's quick, it's good, and look at the side of the box and you see that you get all these vitamins you never knew existed... you know, those vitamins with a letter followed by a number. Not only that, but it says in one serving you get like at least 25% of all those good vitamins and minerals. And everyone knows that you don't eat just one serving a day. So, it's like stocking up on all the things that you're told is good for you in case you run into one of those "there's nothing in the refridgerator so I'll grab a spoon and just eat a bunch of peanut butter and ice cream" days.
BUT... if you go to supermarket in Japan, you'll see that there's only 6 different kinds of cereal. And for me, 6 kinds of cereal is fine if it's Cap'n Crunch, Honey Bunches of Oats, Corn Pops, Apple Jacks, Frosted Shredded Mini Wheats, and well, i can't think of another. But no. In Japan, it's 4 different kinds of corn flakes, some chocolate ringed cereal, and something else i've never seen before. 4 DIFFERENT KINDS OF CORN FLAKES! What a waste! Plus, the boxes are half the size but still cost about $4-5 a box.
I tried to explain cereal to a Japanese person once, and he said, "Oh, you mean corn flakes?" Can someone reading this please send me a digital picture of your local cereal aisle? We must educate these Japanese people! Knowledge is power! If possible, please make it so that I can get it developed into a 3" X 5" pic. Send it to hopping_keroppi@hotmail.com .

1 comment:

Philippe said...

How unfortunate that something in Japan would not be as they are in America.

The Japanese don't eat so much cereals as Americans, thus the bizarre selection at the supermarket.

I lived in Japan for three years, that's how I know. Unlike you, I spoke the language and had a Japanese girl, who love French dudes, lucky for me.

You Americans also come to my country, France (it's in Europe, if you're not sure), and want everything to be the same as America.

Lucky for you that at least I speak your language, seeing that you cannot speak a word of mine.

-Philippe Laurichesse