Sunday, October 13, 2002

Two days ago marks the end of my relationship with NTT DoCoMo. So, a while back I accidently crushed my old cell phone. Here's how it happened... please hold your laughter until the very end. I'm walking up to my car... when somehow, my phone drops on the ground. I have no idea what just happened because I'm just absent-minded like that. I proceed to back the car out and do my business. All the time, I'm wondering what happened to my cell phone. I come back... park the car and later realize that I crushed the phone when I backed the car out. Yes, I ran it over.
So, three days ago, I go to the NTT DoCoMo shop to see how much it'll cost to get a new phone. Please keep in mind that I have a history at this place. A couple of months ago, I was way overcharged. I'm pretty sure I wrote about that a while back. So, to continue the saga with DoCoMo... I ask how much for the new phone. The front guy punches a few keys on his computer, looks at me with a straight face and says "about 20,000 yen." That's close to $200 for those of you who have no idea what the exchange rate is. $200! I don't know what shocked me more: That a phone costs $200 or that he said $200 with a straight face. I wanted to ask, "Is that the special foreigner discount?" The discount that makes a $40 phone $200? Instead, I asked, "How much for the cheapest phone you have?" He punches a few more keys on his computer, looks up at me, and says, again with a straight face, "18,000 yen." Great, it got reduced down to $180. So then, I ask, "What if I start a new plan with you guys and get a new phone number?" Same process, and he says, "18,000 yen." But this time I figure I'm definitely getting the "foreigner discount" and so I say that I'd like to cancel my account. Go figure, he doesn't flinch, starts punching some buttons on his keyboard, and says, "Ok, that'll be 11,000 yen." Fee after fee after fee, and somehow when you add em all up, I still get the "foreigner discount." I couldn't believe it.
Anyway, so go immediately to one of their competitors... J-Phone and ask how much for a new account. 4000 yen. And that's with a phone that takes pictures, takes video clips, does email, surfs the web, slices, dices, and has a built in George Foreman grill. Slight exaggeration, but it's an awesome phone. And so, begins my feud with NTT DoCoMo. Now, I'm absolutely certain that I've been getting the foreigner discount at DoCoMo. I shake my fist at you DoCoMo!

No comments: