Sunday, October 19, 2003

A couple of English language things...

So among a bunch of other things, I'm teaching English here. In the elementary school kids' class this week, we did animals and their corresponding onomatopoeia. I let the kids choose the animals we were going to cover that week. Well, I came across a problem. One of the kids said, "Elephant." What sound does an elephant make? It's not the same problem like a rabbit where the animal doesn't make much of a sound. Elephants definitely make a sound. I just don't know what the sound looks or sounds like.

In related news, I'm forgetting my English.

A high school English teacher showed me the following sentences:
Fiji is a small island WHICH I've long wanted to visit.
Fiji is a small island WHERE he was born.

The teacher then asked me, "How do you know? How do you know when to use 'which' instead of 'where'?" I smiled, looked at him, and said, "You're an English teacher, you know the answer right?" He did. He just wanted to know how a native English speaker can tell the difference. So I told him. "I just know. I hear it and it sounds right." We had a good laugh.

No comments: