Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Every now and then, some Japanese person will ask me, "Is the Japanese language difficult?" For about a year or so, I told them what I really thought. "No, I mean learning any foreign language is a challenge, but Japanese isn't especially challenging." BIG MISTAKE. To that response, I'd always get a weird look and some explanation about why the Japanese language in particular is incredibly difficult for non-Japanese people to learn. Some pointed out that Japanese grammar is so different from any other language (point out that it's the same as Korean and some people get mad). Some pointed out that the pronunciation of the Japanese sounds are difficult for non-native speakers to make (but for the most part I don't have too much difficulty with this). Some have nothing specific to point out but just blankets everything with the overarching statement, "Yeah, Japanese is a very complex language."
An interesting thing about an island country, particularly with Asian countries that start with the letter J and rhyme with "Apan"... because historically they don't get much exposure to other countries and cultures, they believe that they are so unique from everybody else. And in some cases, the Japanese are correct, but not nearly as often as they think. Use of chopsticks. Eating rice.
The idea of globalization? Yeah, here, it's pretty much just an idea. I don't know how many people were surprised that I've eaten sushi in America. Or that I own a Toshiba computer that I bought in America (some people actually became very proud of Japanese manufacturing because of my Toshiba computer).
Then again, I've heard that the urban areas of Tokyo and Osaka are more aware of what's going on in other countries. Maybe this is all just coming from the country perspective.

No comments: