Saturday, November 29, 2003

On my way to Tokyo... I missed my flight because there wasn't any toilet paper.

The airport in Chitose is an hour and a half train ride from Date. To catch my flight I needed to catch the 9AM train heading out of Date. I got to the Date train station at about 8:30AM. Plenty of time. But at 8:50AM, I get the feeling... the feeling like I need to go to the bathroom. Since it's 8:50 already, I figure I'll just hold it until I get on the train. I soon discover that that's not an option. So, I rush into the bathroom at the train station.

I go into the stall where there's a squatty-potty. I do my business and then realize that there isn't a toilet paper dispenser. I look around the stall to see if there's a free roll just lying around, but of course, there isn't one. I peek out of my stall and look for paper towels, pieces of garbage in the trash, anything to use. Nothing. I go back into the stall to check one last time.

Now, I hear an announcement over the PA system giving the last call for people boarding the train to the airport. I decide to ask the ticket master if they have any toilet paper. I zip up, yeah it's gross, and waddle like a penguin for about 20 feet to the ticket booth. I ask for toilet paper and he says, "We don't carry toilet paper." After I stared blankly at him for a while, he stands up, and says, "But I can give you some tissues." He hands me a pocket package of tissues, I take them, and head back. I wipe up real quick and run to the train platform only to see the doors close right before me eyes. I bang on the doors a couple of times. The ticket master goes out to me and says, "Don't do that, it's dangerous." My patience with him in running real low at this point.

I ask the ticket master, "When's the next train to the airport?" He responds, "Not for another hour and 15 minutes." I do some quick math, and realize that I have no chance at catching my plane. So, I ask him for another package of tissues. "Sorry, we can only give people one package at a time." I was a very unhappy semi-Japanese boy.

No comments: