Friday, February 06, 2004

Crime in Japan.

Over the last few months, fraud in Japan has increased. Upon further investigation, it was found that a large part of this was due to a new technique. Young people targeted elderly people, and called them at their homes. The phone conversations would typically go like this:

Young criminal: Hey grandma/grandpa.
Grampa victim: Who's this?
YC: It's me. It's me.
GV: Who?
YC: It's me. I need money. Can you send some over?
GV: Who is this?
YC: It's me. Don't you recognize me? Send me money!
GV: Oh oh ok.
YC: So, send money to this bank account number okay?
GV: Ok ok. Take care.

And just like that, without saying their names, they get their money. To explain this phenomenon, news reporters suggest that the elderly victims eventually give in without knowing who it is on the other line, because they feel ashamed about not recognizing someone they feel they should recognize.

No comments: