Friday, February 13, 2004

"Preach the Gospel, and if necessary use words."

I remember hearing this quote all the time in college. I dunno. It was just one of those things that just sounded right or something. I didn't know if it had any real worth. I'd hear it, and just do one of those nods that said, "Yeah, I think I agree with that," without really knowing why.

I think half of my partiality for the saying was due to my unfounded dislike for using words in preaching the Gospel. "Hey, some famous dude said that I don't have to... or shouldn't use words." And just like that, I convinced myself I could still, and was actually living out the Great Commission and continue to live the way I did.

After coming to Japan, I discovered the meaning of that quote. For the first time, I couldn't use words. I didn't have an adequate handle of the Japanese language. Sure, before coming to Japan, I could say everyday household words like "Shut up," "What are we eating today?" and "Stop being annoying." You know, the basics. But using words to communicate the message of the Gospel of the Bible wasn't an option. I had to do what so many preachers challenge their congregants to do... "Live the Gospel." It's not until you are put in a situation where you cannot speak words that you realize how incredibly tough it is to communicate the Gospel merely by your actions.

Talk is definitely cheap. "Preach the Gospel, and if necessary use words," is not an excuse by any means. It is a challenge.

No comments: