Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Surprise!

In describing what it's like to live in Japan, I think a British guy (Ian) who lives here in Date, said it best, "Because Japan is so developed, it kind of lulls you into believing that it's like home. And then, suddenly, you realize that it's not."

I think my "toilet paper in the train station" story is ample evidence of such a statement. I mean, if I were in a developing country, I'd expect there not to be any toilet paper in the train station (that is if they have a train station). And I'd take the necessary precautions... a roll in my backpack for instance. But this is Japan, the second largest economy in the world, one of the most developed, and so like Ian said, I semi-believed that it's just like home, and then, bam, no toilet paper, and I'm stuck in a public bathroom, not knowing what to do next.

Well, just yesterday I had a similar experience. No, not with train station toilets. Or anything to do with the poopies. Late last night, I was driving home... only my gas tank was close to empty. And I had a long way to go. "Hideyo, just go to the closest gas station," you might say. But ahh no, this is Japan, land of the gas stations that close at 8 or 9PM. That's right, if you're on the road, late at night, and realize that the little arrow is below the "E" on the gas tank meter, tough konnyaku.

I'm driving and driving, checking all the gas stations I pass by, hoping that one is open at 10:30PM. One by one they go by, and they're just pitch black. Then, I saw a lit gas station sign. "My savior!" I thought, but then as I was about to pull in, I saw that it was fenced off. Apparently, that gas station's been out of business for quite some time. Why they still have the sign lit, I have no idea. Maybe to mess with stupid foreigners who didn't fill up their car while the sun was still up.

But I got lucky. There was one gas station on the way home. It was a self station (most gas stations are full in Japan). Filled up, and left without a worry. It's just these little surprises... the things I very much take for granted back home, that help me remember that I am where I am.

No comments: