Tuesday, August 27, 2002

Apparently, on Japanese radio, it was announced that in the UK, a survey was done asking to name a person who embodies the UK. That is, British people were asked, "When you think of the UK, who's the first person to pop into your mind?" The results were compiled and a top 10 list was made. Of course, Winston Churchill was number one. Followed by a list of others that I've forgotten since.
Anyway, this prompted a discussion after an English class today, asking, "When you think of Japan, who's the first person to pop into your mind?" At first, the names were flying, but I knew none of them. I dunno, but I'd want the person who embodies my own nation to be known internationally. And for the US, we have a bunch of internationally known people who embody the US. George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Elvis Presley, John Wayne, James Dean, even Michael Jordan were mentioned in the classroom today. But for Japan, when put under the condition that they should be internationally known, the only name that popped up was Yoko Ono. This left everybody in the room kinda depressed. When i started thinking about it, when somebody thinks of Japan, they don't think of a singular person, but groups of people. I know that when I think "Japan" i think of a bunch of companies: Sony, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi to name a few. It's funny, I know that each of these companies have founders and president/CEOs but I can't name one. When i think of Japan in terms of people, i think of groups.
So I figured, because we weren't able to think of a singular person better than Yoko Ono, I'd post the problem up on the web and ask you to respond through your comments! So, when you think "Japan," who do you think of? The condition for you all is that it be a singular person... who actually lived (that is nonfictional... so no Pokemon!).
To comment, just click the link that says "comment" and there'll be a pop up that's pretty self explanatory.

No comments: