Wednesday, August 21, 2002

So I was talking to my friend Bob for I while... and somehow I started talking about the food I'm looking forward to eating again in America. Naturally, one of them is the Costco hot dog. Kinda surprised him i think. But can't go high class everytime! Besides, it's a good hot dog! Cheap... and it comes with a drink. All the condiments I can pile on top of that thing... especially relish and sauercraut! Oooh craut! The closest thing I have to a hot dog of any kind is... well, this is a story!
So I go to the supermarket one day... and I spot these huge sausages. I think my eyes got as big as the sausages when I saw them. I mean, they're kinda hard to come by around here. The closest thing are those breakfast/cocktail sausages. And they've got plenty of those around. But I just get myself desperate enough to make little mini buns for those sausages. And besides that, I can't find those beloved condiments anyway! Immediately, I stuff a package of the humong-o sausages into my basket and start walking.
I take it home, open the packages and since i don't have a grill, I decide to put it on a frying pan. Well, after a few minutes, it kinda smells weird, and starts to get this glossy gold-like color on the outside. I figure it's the teflon from the new frying pan... or i dunno. After a while, the glossy color gets all over the sausage and i figure that there's no way i'm gonna eat it, cuz it's probably toxic or something by now. Well, as soon as I pick it up, i realize that the outside is really crispy. Go figure, just like in Germany or something, there's plastic wrapping around the sausage in addition to the plastic packaging all the sausages came in.
Well, that sausage is gone... but thankfully there are a buncha others so this time i know what to do, make it right, and put it on a piece of toast. Can't find hot dog buns! As soon as I bite in, I realize that this is no kosher beef sausage. The taste was all different. I don't think about it too much though... and finish it off.
Later, I ask around about the sausage after an English class. Japanese sausage. You can probably figure out what kind of sausage it was. Go figure, fish sausage... colored red so that it looks like a regular sausage.
I WANT A COSTCO DOG. And maybe for a few more dollars, I'll upgrade to a Top Dog Hot Link... ooh those are good.

No comments: