Tuesday, August 13, 2002

Do I stay for another year? That's the question that's been on my mind for the passed 2 or 3 months now. At this point, I'm committed to stay in Japan until the end of September 2003. But I have the option to extend until September 2004 when my visa expires. Basically I have until the end of 2002 to make the decision. I guess I'm just waiting for a burning bush experience... although of course more subtle things would work too.
What are the factors? I can think of three at this point.
#1: I don't know if this church will plant a church within the next three years. That is, I don't know if this church will plant a church during my time here not matter how long I stay. This being the main objective of my stay here, it kind of puts a damper on things. But then, it's still very early to make that assessment. And I doubt that at the end of the year 2002, things will clear up to be able to make a better assessment. By that time, I'd have been in Hokkaido for 8-9 months. Fairly long time I suppose... but to figure out the direction that God wants to lead it? I don't know. We'll see.
#2: I've grown more and more detached from the organization. I've come to realize that in reality I'm independent. I get logistics taken care of by the organization but as for the accountability/mentoring I heard and read so much about... yeah that's not there. I look around though, and see that others are getting that, but for me, it's just not there. It's just disappointing I guess because this factor was one of the main reasons why I felt God wanted me here.
#3: The positive... I like the people of the church here in Date. They're great people. I like working here.
There are other factors too, now that i think about it... but I'll save that for later... I'm running out of time! Gotta go teach a class.

No comments: