Friday, September 05, 2003

Bob, yeah, you didn't miss anything. I never posted about it before. Never realized that the whole process never made it to the online version. Oh well.

So anyway, a while ago, I requested app information from some schools online. Some interesting things that happened as a result...

1) Online requests for app info are not internationally friendly. To request for information, all you have to do is provide em with your address. Sure, some of em have a little box that says "Country"... but at the same time the rest of the address boxes are just not very useful. Take the "state/province" box for instance. Two letter limit. Naturally... if you live in the United States or Canada. CA, NV, HI, BC, ON, etc.. But what if your province is... oh say, "Hokkaido." What do you write? HO? HK? One might send it to the North Pole while the other'll go to Hong Kong, or Jeff's house. And don't get me started on the "postal/zip code" box with it's 5 number limit.

2) Every school thought I was an international student. I didn't request for international student info. But I got it. Must have been the combination of the Japan address and the Japanese name. Yeah yeah yeah. I didn't use Alfred. That's my middle name by the way (yeah, that's right, get all your Batman jokes out of your system now). Anyway, I got all this literature about the TOEFL. Stroke the ego? Maybe not.

3) Seminaries are crazy expensive. I had no idea. At the end of almost all the pretty brochures is the estimated costs rundown. Yowzuh.

4) I got a personal email from someone at one of the schools. This was really cool. Completely unexpected. And cool.

Something that's bugged me since the beginning of this entry... what's the two letter code for Alberta? Cuz Alabama took AL right? AB? But that's a blood type. And American Eagle took AE. AR? That's Arkansas... I think. AT? Automatic transmission? AA? Yeah, I think we all know what AA is.

No comments: