Monday, September 22, 2003

We are now coming to the end of the American baseball season. This, of course, means the end of the fantasy baseball season. It's a weird thing... playing fantasy baseball with American people when you're away from America. A lot has happened in the American sports world over the past 2 years. And I didn't witness any of it. A new crop of stars have sprung up and I don't know any of them.

Example: I joined a fantasy football league with some friends from high school. We had a live draft a while ago. (There was the whole "I'm in Japan Standard time, how am I supposed to join a live draft with Americans?" thing, but that's not all that interesting so we'll skip that.) At the end of the draft, I noticed that I've seen about a third of the players I drafted, play in the pros. The only reason why I knew to draft them was because of their stats from last year. Now, that we're into the season, they're nothing but stats on a box score to me. I mean, I wouldn't have known that Chad Johnson, the wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals was black had Yahoo! Sports not put a picture on all their player profiles.

No comments: