Thursday, January 08, 2004

Ochazuke.

When I was little and I got sick, my mom would feed me one of three things: Chicken noodle soup, ice cream, and ochazuke. Chicken noodle soup is the American tradition. Ice cream, I think, was to help get my fevers down. And ochazuke... well, ochazuke I don't really know... but that mess is good.

For all of you out there who have no idea what I'm talking about, ochazuke is basically like okayu (Japanese juk), but with seasoning and the water tastes like tea. For any Japanese American fob readers out there... holla!

Well, just today, I rediscovered ochazuke. I went to the supermarket and as I was browsing I saw the familiar packaging. The company that makes the stuff hasn't changed the packaging in at least 15 years. Got me a six pack.

Really easy to make. Get some leftover rice, pour a seasoning pack over it, and then pour hot water over it all. Well, I haven't had the stuff in like 10 years so I got all excited... so excited that instead of using leftover rice (because I had none), I made new rice! Then I went American style and supersized it to a donburi bowl... aww yeah. It was some good eatin'.

No comments: