Monday, May 01, 2006

First Day at School... Again

I don't know how many times I've said this now, but today was my first day at school, as a substitute teacher. Yes, I am officially employed by the San Mateo Unified High School District. Today was an assignment at Burlingame High. Generally, a very well-behaved set of classes. You could say that I was pleasantly surprised. A couple of incidents, but not too much. The biggest incident was probably showing up 30-minutes late for first period. (Note: I hate the city of Burlingame... the place makes no sense to me) I ended up driving around Burlingame for about an hour. Why? Because Google maps directed me to turn at a street that wasn't marked.

So around and around I went, looking for a street sign that didn't exist. I started wandering around the general vicinity, found a set of buildings that could be a high school, got excited, and drove in that general direction only to find that it wasn't Burlingame High but San Mateo High. Wrong high school. I ended up finding the high school after calling the Burlingame High office. Good thing I had their phone number.

Afterward, Alinna asked me how it went. I got the feeling like she was glad and a bit disappointed at the same time. Glad that the kids didn't give me a hard time and possibly disappointed because the kids didn't give me a hard time. I think I lucked out this time though. No way all the classes are going to be like this one.

The week in fantasy baseball: Beat Dong 5-4 (currently in 9th place)

The Craigslist Finds of the Day
1. Black computer desk with stool $40 (San Jose)
2. Kids' table, chairs, storage bench, lamp $50 (San Jose)
3. Wardrobe closet $20 (San Jose)
4. Cherry Wood Boudoir Bench $25 (Mountain View)
5. Large Weber BBQ $10 (Mountain View)
6. Bathroom Wall Shelf $3 (San Jose)
7. Smoker/Grill $75 (San Jose)
8. Zojirushi Hot Water Pot $30 (Santa Clara)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey man, i felt like i had sent my kid to the first day of school! and i wasn't disappointed, per se ... a little relieved i think, but definitely "hmm ... he hasn't subbed at MY school YET. he'll see what kids are REALLY like."

love you honey.