Sunday, September 08, 2002

As soon as I got back to my apartment tonight, I checked ESPN to see how them Cal Golden Bears did against New Mexico St.. I was once again very pleasantly surprised. Given, New Mexico St. isn't a football powerhouse, but Baylor was picked as one of the worst 10 teams in Div I football. The commanding win against New Mexico St. was equally impressive. I don't think Cal ever scored 34 points (was that how many they scored today?), in any game that I watched as a student. I've seen them score more back when I was in high school, selling cokes at Memorial Stadium... but that was back when they actually made bowl games every now and then. Russell White. Dave Barr. Skip the years with the dominating defenses led by Regan Upshaw and... i forget... but anyway, as a student at Cal, I don't think they've ever scored 34 points. The closest might have been 20.
So, looking at the schedule, to see how they play next... i was horrified. Michigan St.. Wow. Aren't they ranked? It's time to really showcase the brand new Tedford era. Which reminds me, with these passed two games, it is now completely solidified... Holmoe will never get a head coaching position ever again. Some might argue that his head coaching career was over with the 1-10 season last year. But people could point to his players and say that he didn't have the talent to win. "Maybe Holmoe was just a bad recruiter... that doesn't take away from his ability to coach." But after seeing how this squad put up 70 points last week and 30+ points this week... there's no doubt. Holmoe was a horrible coach.
Well, they're going against some real power next week. Roll on you bears!

No comments: