Wednesday, September 25, 2002

First entry from the America trip. The last night at Virginia. Today, I was driving my friend Ben Tao's car. I was going 45 in a 45 zone. I looked at my rear view and saw that there were a bunch of people tailgating me. The thing is that I thought I was blazing down the road... at 45 miles per hour. You see, the car I drive back in Japan isn't very fast. Actually, that's an understatement. But for the longest time I didn't think much of it because I couldn't convert my speed from the metric system. The speedometer is in kilometers per hour. So, when I'm in fifth gear, flooring the gas pedal, I am at 90 kph. I feel ok about it because all I see is "90". I sit in Ben's car... the first thing i look for is the speedometer, because most American cars have both the mph and kph written. 100 kph (the speed at which my car in Japan starts shaking because it's going too fast), was only 60 mph! Out goes my ego.
So back to the story. 45 mph felt incredibly fast. To go any faster to me, seemed utterly ridiculous. So, I kept crusing causing the people behind me to speed past me. I don't think they were all too happy.

No comments: