Wednesday, September 11, 2002

Wow. It's been exactly a year. But somehow, it seems feels longer than that. For me, so much has happened in the passed year... that there's indeed reason why it feels like it was so long ago. But then again, I don't think I'm alone in these feelings. For many people in the US, it's been quite a journey since that morning of complete confusion. But at the same time, I don't feel all that changed from the incidents. Maybe it's because I'm not from the East coast. My space wasn't invaded. I read all these articles and saw all these TV programs right after the incident saying that Sept 11, would be a historical time that would forever change the psyche of Americans. Now that a year has passed... I wonder, has it? The New York Times has a great article that really seems to reflect how i think about the attacks on the Twin Towers... a year later.
It's kind of chilling to think that I've "gotten over it." Especially considering that so many people died... on American soil. It's chilling to think that the amazingly horrific pictures of the planes crashing into the buildings have for the most part subsided from my mind. Have I been changed by the events in New York? Or has it just become another thing to add into my experiences bag... along with learning how to drive and graduation?
When i think of things that have changed my worldview, I think of my Berkeley accountability group, my uncle in Japan dying, even the 1989 World Series in which my Giants got swept by the A's (I hate Dave Parker!). Apparently, things that change me, have to directly affect me. And quite frankly, the Trade Tower attacks didn't directly affect me. This sounds completely selfish, considering that it hugely impacted thousands of families around the world, but it is the truth.
More than ever, I realize how much incompassionate I am. And as a result how much I need Jesus to continue to change me. Maybe this is how my psyche has changed as a result of the attacks.

No comments: