Saturday, August 02, 2003

Ahh, summer!

Summer is "matsuri" or festival time here in Japan. Today, was Date's special "musha matsuri" which celebrates the founding of the city. The parade of people dressed up in samurai armor during the day was pretty cool. The parade of people playing taiko drums and dancing in the streets was cool too. But as people who know me know, it's all about the food, and I got plenty of it. I had a stick-run where everything I ate came off a stick of some sort. Yakitori, chocolate covered banana, corn dogs.

Funny thing about Hokkaido... yakitori literally means grilled bird or chicken. And most everywhere in Japan, the meat is chicken. Except here. It's pork out here. Why? I'm not really sure, but it is. I asked a Hokkaido person, "If it's pork why don't you call it 'yakibuta' or grilled pig/pork?'" I'm yet to get an answer to that question. Interestingly, sukiyaki, the national dish of Japan which is usually served with beef is served with pork here in Hokkaido. In fact, some Hokkaido people don't even know that it's supposed to be beef. Them Hokkaido people love their pig and freakin' cold wind chill factor.

Today's article: The Professional Jerk. Interesting article about the guy who plays Stifler. I still remember the MTV Cribs of his apartment. I think that was the coolest episode ever. Still can't find it on Kazaa. I can find Master P's stupid house... and practically every member of No Limit, but I can't find Stifler!

No comments: