Friday, March 31, 2006

A New Obsession

As faithful readers of this blog (all one of you) may have realized, I have incorporated a new item into my morning routine: The Craigslist search for furniture. The finds haven't been spectacular recently, but I'm just assuming that there's a lull right now with the great deals. I'm afraid today may be the same. It's not that there isn't quality stuff, but rather that people are asking too much. Ahh well.

But for me, the greatest fun comes not in finding the deals, but in finding the crazy stuff. This "crazy stuff" category doesn't include the ice machine or the mini-fridge from a few days ago. I think this chair encapsulates the idea of "crazy stuff". I mean who would buy that, let alone pay $85 for it? An even better question, what compelled the original owner to pay who-knows-how-much for it retail? It's a crazy world out there.

A few nuggets of wisdom I've gleaned from the week of doing faithful Craigslist searches for deals:
1. "Antique" = old/beat up
2. "Cute" = ugly
3. "Colorful" = gaudy
4. Don't trust any posting without a picture attached.
5. You can always try to underbid a post. (Alinna and I paid $65 for a table set that posted for $75)
6. Willow Glen/Cambrian is in San Jose

The South Bay Craigslist Finds of the Morning
1. Ikea Loveseat $75 (Campbell)
2. Wooden Coffee Table $20 (Santa Clara)
3. Corner Hutch $95 (Willow Glen)
4. Cherry Mahogany TV Stand $40 (San Jose)
5. Set of 4 Tan Chair Pads $25 (Mountain View)

No comments: