Saturday, April 19, 2003

Happy Easter everyone!
Right now, I'm totally pumped. I've got a white chocolate cheesecake baking in the oven and I'm listening to the theme song to Back to the Future. The white chocolate cheesecake is for the Easter luncheon we're having at the church tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, we'll see a lotta people come out to the event. So, I'm sure you all can understand why I'm pumped about my white chocolate cheesecake.
But the Back to the Future theme song... well, I dunno. More than Eye of the Tiger or Chariots of Fire or even Who Let the Dogs Out, the theme song to Back to the Future always got me going. I hope someone out there knows what I'm talking about, or maybe I'm just a weird-o.
As for Chariots of Fire, for some reason, when I hear that song, I don't immediately think of the movie Chariots of Fire or the Olympics. You know what I first think of? Revenge of the Nerds. Can I get a witness?!
To understand why, you have to have watched the movie. So if you haven't watched Revenge of the Nerds yet... go see it and laugh along with me. The movie culminates to the frat Olympics. It comes down to the jock frat, Alpha Beta and the nerd frat, Lambda Lambda Lambda with the final event being the javelin. Go figure, Lambda Lambda Lambda has its lone black rep (was he really a nerd? Tomio and I are trying to figure this out), Lamar, representing them. That's not all. This is when the nerd frat releases their secret weapon... their custom made javelin that supposedly plays to Lamar's throwing strengths.
So, right when Lamar goes on his running start, Chariots of Fire starts playing in the background... and of course Lamar starts moving in slow-mo with the custom javelin wobbling up and down. He wins it for Lambda Lambda Lambda, and all is well in the nerd world. But this is the image that is and forever will be ingrained in my mind when I hear Chariots of Fire: Lamar and his wobbly javelin moving in slo-mo.
So far, two other people in the world know what I'm talking about without having to watch the great classic American movie again. There have to be others out there! Right?

No comments: