Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Seeing how everybody and their mama (well the Asian ones at least) are writing about either the movie Good Luck Tomorrow or finally doing their taxes on the last day... I wanna write about something completely different. Yeah, count me in as another person who doesn't wanna hear any more about how that movie really touched some Asian dude's heart, or how completely frustrating the whole filing for taxes thing is.
So after I wrote my 4/14 entry... I got to thinking some more (what an idea). Especially after signing it off with Matthew 16:24 which says:

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.'"

I then remembered something I heard as being an "old Chinese proverb." The reason why I say it that way is because to me it seems like anything that sounds profound yet simple is either quoted from Jesus, or quoted as being an old Chinese proverb. Nobody really knows if it's really an old Chinese proverb, but because it's profound yet simple, it must be. Who knows, it might be an old Japanese proverb... or an old Vietnamese proverb. But then nobody's ever heard of an old Vietnamese proverb. Or maybe it's a not so old Chinese proverb. But "not so old Chinese proverb" doesn't exactly sound as cool as "old Chinese proverb." Anyway... to the proverb:

There is a man who does not know and thinks he knows... he is deceived, avoid him.
There is a man who does not know and does not know that he does not know... he is blind, enlighten him.
There is a man who does not know and knows that he does not know... he is teachable, teach him.
There is a man who knows and does not know that he knows... he is unsure, encourage him.
There is a man who knows and knows that he knows... he is a marked man, follow him.

I sure am glad that Jesus is a man who knows and knows that he knows.

No comments: