Thursday, April 17, 2003

Today, I finally learned why Easter is when it is. Unlike Christmas (December 25th) or Independence Day (July 4th) or even Thanksgiving (4th Thursday of November), I never really know when Easter is until I check that year's calender. I mean Thanksgiving is difficult enough to remember... 4th Thursday of November... whew. It's like those stupid days in Berkeley when you can't park on some street parking spots because of street sweeping... 3rd Tuesday of each month, man, how was I supposed to remember that it was the 3rd Tuesday of the month when I was parking my car? I think every Berkeley student with a car has felt my pain at least once.
So, for a while I thought that there was some dude who'd choose when Easter would be that year. His only restrictions would be that it'd have to be a Sunday and that it'd be between March and April... other than that, go wild. It's kinda like how I thought communion Sundays were chosen at my church back home. Some dude would look at a calender... say something like "Mmmm... yeah I think this Sunday looks good." About communion at my home church, I'm sure there's some system or pattern or something, but I just never really took notice.
But for Easter, apparently, Easter is the Sunday following the first full moon of Spring. And Spring starting not when that groundhog pops his head up but Spring starting in the vernal (Spring) equinox for those of us living in the Northern Hemisphere.
Which reminds me, I remember in one of my classes I saw a video of newly graduated Harvard students answering basic science questions... but many of them got em wrong. One of those questions was "What causes the seasons?" And they were given a globe and asked to explain the phenomenon known as the seasons. As a follow up to the semi-popular Japanese preschooler quiz... I'll ask you, are you smarter than a buncha Harvard grads?

Question: Where do plants get most of the materials to grow in size and volume?

No comments: