Thursday, April 27, 2006

Adventures on 101

So, I drove on 101 today. Alinna tells me never to drive on 101. It doesn't matter if it's 5PM or 5AM. Her motto is "Just say no to 101." Why? Because inevitably there will be traffic. But well, I drive on 101 to get to San Mateo today.

I must admit, it was an infuriating experience. If there's just traffic I don't mind all that much. Well, at least I don't think I do. Anyway, the fact that it got slow in some parts didn't bother me all that much today. What bothered me today were all the stupid drivers on 101 today. I've heard it said that SoCal drivers are jerks, but NorCal drivers are just stupid.

What constitutes stupidity in my mind? Everybody driving at the same speed regardless of what lane it is that they're driving in. It doesn't matter if they're in the exit lane or the fast lane (it was 9:05 when I hit 101 so the carpool lane was available too), they're driving at 55. It's even more infuriating when you look past that initial car in front of you and see not another car for tens of yards.

Classic scenario: I'm driving in the number 3 lane. There's a car in front of me driving at 55. In the number 2 and the carpool lane, there are cars driving at 55 as well. It looks like they're the cleaning bar on an etch-e-sketch. All at the same speed, all approximately in the same positions. If you're moving at the same speed as the car beside you in a slower lane, move to the slower lane. Expanding 101, Caltrans work crews, blah blah blah. Just observe the rules of the road and 101 should run smoother.

Speaking of driving at the same speed... Asian moms are notorious for being bad drivers. Aside from not being able to see over the steering wheel, one of the most common complaints is that they drive too fast in parking lots. But au contrare. If you closely observe the driving skills of the typical Asian mom, you will find that it's not so much that they drive fast in the parking lot as much as it is that they're driving at the same speed in the parking lot. It doesn't matter if they're driving on San Pablo Ave, Lawrence Expressway, or the Ranch 99 parking lot. You'll see the Asian mom clocking in at 25 miles per hour.

This week in fantasy baseball: Tied with Dong 4-4

The South Bay Craigslist Finds of the Morning
1. Tan Dresser $25 (Mountain View)
2. Off-white Chair and a Half $50 (San Jose)
3. End table $35 (Palo Alto)
4. Barbeque Grill $30 (Sunnyvale)
5. Room heater $30 (Milpitas)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You mean "THE 101?"
Haha, sorry, lame so-cal reference...